28 November 2010

c-c-c-c-craaazaayyy

I know I've been awfully quiet, terribly so. But over Thanksgiving break I saw all the people who read my blog so I didn't feel the need to vent here as much. I will record what happened though, perhaps briefly, since I intend this to be a record of what occurred in my first year here.

Zanna and I flew back on Tuesday evening, flight was uneventful. Everyone came to pick me up and I'm sure I was super chattery on the way home. The next day I woke up around 9:30 (ah, bliss!) and ate bao for breakfast. Plus good lai cha with green tea tapioca, and real eggs with ketchup. Ah, food. After lunch of mein I drove Stevie, with mom, to piano. Gave Dr. Lin the CD Dr. Horn had passed on to me. Then to Mrs. Shippey's for voice. Got stuck in some horrible Thanksgiving traffic so only got half the lesson time. But I read some stuff with Stephen so that was good. Came home and made double chocolate oatmeal cookies yummm.

Thursday I made the pumpkin cheesecake I've been longing for! Real pumpkin yo. We were going to go have Vietnamese for lunch, but Pho Anh Dao was closed so we ended up going to dimsum. Which was a disappointment because we had to share a table and the food sorta sucked. But for Thanksgiving dinner we had hotpot, which was ah-may-zing. Ah tofu. Mommy's sending me some paper packaged tofu so I can eat here. MahMah and Julia yee-yee came over, of course. So good to see them! After dinner we started talking about N. and S. Korea and nuclear warfare. A lovely topic, indeed. And then we watched Ip Man, which was EPIC. It's a kung fu movie, sure, but it had really good acting and an actual plot. And it's in the context of a world event, which makes it all the more moving.

We didn't have much planned for Friday except dinner with Eric and MahMah and JYY. I don't even remember what I did anymore...some packing, some piano? hehe. Then afternoon we did a bit of shopping, got some running shoes and boots with good traction. Dinner was at a new Korean BBQ buffet place with the above mentioned people. Gotta love beef bulgogi. No dessert though, except for oranges, which upset Mommy. haha. Then best part of the day, went to pick CYu up for a chat. It was so good just to talk and talk.

Saturday was an early-ish wake up because of review boards for BE2011 C4. Mommy drove me and Park and Zeke, so I got to talk to them a bit about things at Jimmy Stewart and life in general. We got there on time, waited around for one cadet from NY. Then everyone had to take the Myers-Briggs test. I was a little cocky and thinking I knew that I was an ISTJ already. Then the review boards started, around 20 minutes for each person. Meanwhile Maver stayed outside with the rest of us and talked about encampment stuff. Improvements and all that. Pizza for lunch. Somehow or other I ended up being the last one to go. According to the people outside I was in there for the longest, 25 minutes. I think it was cuz they were grilling me about being in Illinois. It definitely didn't seem that long to me. and I think I'll have to write the details of the board in my personal journal as I wouldn't want this going public. Anyway, so I finished and came out and chatted with everyone. By this time we were all sort of restless and just talking about random things. The exec staff and Sav were conferencing in the office. Then I got summoned into the room. I thought they were going to do some private dismissal thing to tell me I hadn't made it. Instead Maver informed me they had chosen me as cadet commander, and asked me if I would accept the position. I was floored, absolutely shocked. I think I just sat there for a couple seconds with a half smile. They were open to me declining and asked me if I had any concerns about accepting. I mentioned my geographical location and not being in CAP that long and stuff but in the end I was convinced. I was still a bit hesitant, so Maver was like, "just say yes". When I said yes I thought about the weirdness of saying yes to a room of men and some vague thought of marriage. LOL. My brain was functioning funny, ok? They immediately had me choose my staff. Decisions decisions, oh my. It was plain crazy.

But, man, I'm cadet commander of BE2011! It's just crazy to think about it. That's the biggest thing that happened over break, for sure. That evening Stephen and I went to the Aus to hang out, which was wonderful, as always. It was so relaxing and beautiful to talk face to face with dear friends I haven't seen in too long. I really hope I'll have more time to hang out with them over Christmas.

So encampment has sort of taken over my life, and will for the next 8 months. Of course, as mom and dad keep reminding me, my studies come first, but I'm pretty much splitting even between school and CAP. I've renounced movies and most social activities in order to make sure I have enough time and sleep. I'm also starting a running program so I'll be good shape, better shape than I've ever been, by the time Encampment rolls around. Can't have me lagging behind my staff now, can I.

I still can't quite believe I'll be running the whole show. To think just a little more than two years ago I had just joined CAP. wowza. It really is crazy. I don't know if I can handle it! ahhhh. Can't let the stress get to me. Time to really rely on God. I'm wondering if this is the ministry opportunity God is giving me. I have a very powerful platform here and if I use it skillfully I can influence plenty of people.

I feel so out of my element sometimes though. I know zilch about the military, which I said as much in my board. I've ruled out being in the military myself. How am I going to interact with all those military personnel? boy oh boy. Already I've got a dozen encampment emails flooding my inbox in just two days. Am I in over my head?

Time to sleeeeep so I can get up to run tomorrow. More concerns to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment