13 September 2010

why?

It's good to ask that question sometimes. Sometimes it hurts though. It cuts. It sears.

Why does God take away young, healthy men and women right in their prime of life? Why does he allow couples who have been married for 20 years to separate and cause pain in so many loves. Why does he allow evil to grow and grow without seeming to curb it? Why are my tormentors not repaid? Why can I not love people as I want to? Why?

My heart breaks. It breaks for those near me I see going through hard times. Those who are dealing with circumstances way bigger than themselves that they have no control over. Who don't know where to turn anymore. Who have pain and stress and heartache in their lives. Who deal with family problems day in and day out and just can't get away.

It breaks for worldwide events that I read about in the news. Things that really aren't related to me but are horrifying in their level of sorrow and evil. Catastrophes and tragedies that strike me to my core and make me doubt God's goodness.

And the worst thing is there doesn't seem to be a single thing I can do about it. All I can do is love people and pray for them. I can't make their pain go away. I can't soothe their wounds. I can't make the situation better. Praying sometimes feels empowering, but too often it feels empty and not useful. How long, O Lord, how long? Is this what patience is about? Lord, teach me patience then! I am hungry for some sign, anything, something small, that you are working in my life, in the lives of those who need you, who are hurting.

Or when God just answers, "because." And expects me to be satisfied. I don't need to know now. But I WANT TO. Why can't I know? It's so frustrating.

Lord God, I pray your loving mercy and peace on the ____ family. Overwhelm them with your steadfast love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment