17 January 2012

orchestras & other cool things


I had my first rehearsal with the orchestra today!!!!!!
exclamation points abound!!!!
Actually, I wasn’t nearly that excited during the rehearsal.  And I wasn’t that nervous either.  I was not in a feeling mood.  I think it’s because I’ve talked about it so much and answered so many questions from people about whether I’m “excited for Friday” that I can’t feel excited any more.  But!  It was still a good rehearsal.  When I came out I realized I was really, really tired.  Like, exhausted.  Couldn’t focus in choir rehearsal and still haven’t finished the homework I was supposed to do.  So I guess I spent a lot of energy in that rehearsal!
What is it like to play with an orchestra?  Well, I can’t really tell you right now.  It really felt more like a gigantic chamber ensemble, since it is Mozart after all and there aren’t huge brass fanfares or timpani entrances.  I did find that if I listened to the orchestra too hard, I started losing my place.  I had so many missed entrances it was ridiculous!  I know the music really well, I just couldn’t get used to hearing strings and winds instead of another piano.  Thank goodness Dr. S is so forgiving and patient.  And he really is a very good accompanist, like Dr. H told me.  It’s a pleasure to be able to play with him.  
Let’s see how Friday goes now.  I can’t even think about the fact that’s also a competition at this point.  
In other music news, I had a brief run-through of my piano ensemble rep with my partner today…and we discovered that the Poulenc duet involves some…interesting hand crossing.  Secondo (me) starts in the middle of the keyboard, and Primo (my partner) has to stretch to the top and bottom of the keyboard.  So naturally we started with my hands under and my partner stretching over, which was just the slightest bit awkward (he’s a guy.)  But whatevs, it’s piano, business and all that.  Then, our coach told my partner to stand up, proceeded to sit down and experiment, saying, “Hm, when my husband and I played this I think he stretched around me.”  So there I am with Dr. E’s arm around me, huddled up two inches away from the keyboard.  One of the other girls was like, “hah, that’s a real smooth move.”  AWKWARD.  I think we’re going to do it the…usual way.  meh, whatever, he has a girlfriend.  One of Wheaton’s recent grads happened to be in Dr. E’s office and was like, “I’ve heard both of you play, you’re gonna be a power duo.”  Score.  I am actually really excited about the Rachmaninov duo we’re doing.  Symphonic Dances.  Intense.
brain = not functioning

No comments:

Post a Comment